Monday, July 03, 2006

Leaving Vienna...........

We have packed our last box. Everything left on the truck on Friday evening and our house is clean and empty. On Saturday we spent the day cleaning because on Monday morning, the Embassy comes to inspect the condition of the house and of the furniture etc. We need to have everything looking well.

As I have been cleaning, I have been overwhelmed with a feeling of sadness but also one of immense gratitude for the experience we have had here in Vienna. Our home is so beautiful. I want to describe it so I never forget -- we have had so many blessings and miracles.

We live on a corner in a series of 10 houses that look exactly like ours. On the main level is a fenced in yard, come in the front door and we have a kitchen, dining room, living room, bathroom and a guestroom (my mom's room) with bathroom. Up one level are 4 bedrooms - master bedroom, Max's room, Dima's room and Anastasia's room. Up another level and there is a huge, huge room which we turned into Alexander's bedroom - go out on his balcony and there is a perfect view of Vienna straight ahead and the Vienna Forest (WienerWald) behind. There is also another room up there which we used for Storage.
Down to the basement we have a giant laundry room, 2 big storage rooms, the Ping Pong Table room, The Game Cube room and the boy's dressing room where I keep their dressers and clothes. You can walk out to the garage from the basement. What luxury! The school is right across the street. It has just been one blessing after another!

At church yesterday I stood up at the podium and gave a short talk (my testimony) and was able to look out at all the faces of the people I've come to love so much. My heart was ripping in two. It can be so difficult to leave friends and move on. I have made such good friends here - they are more than friends, they are my sisters and I know that relationship is eternal and that is what makes it okay for me. It was no coincidence that we came to Vienna. We just love it here - the beauty, the friends, the opportunities, our beautiful home, our ward (congregation).

But, we still look forward to our nice vacation at home and that is where I keep trying to point my children and myself too. Though it will be difficult to serve another overseas assignment and be away from family for another 2 or 3 years, it is also another blessing that we won't be far from these wonderful friends!

This is the boy's school, American International School of Vienna. It is such a great school and it's right across the street!

No comments: